Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cinnamon buns are delicious

So we had the fortune of having dinner made for us on Tuesday by Aunt E. Since I am pregnant (which I have yet to announce on here but my only followers all know this so I will have another post to talk about it), I was told to eat a TON more meat and veggies. E treated us to an amazing meal of calzone-mania. We had a cheeseburger calzone and a broccoli-tomato-Alfredo calzone. Before going into the cinnamon buns, I'll tell you what was in these because you might want to try this at home.

(E bought dough for this project at our local pizza shop)

Cheeseburger calzone layers:
ketchup and mustard (mixed)
ground beef, browned and drained
pickles, sliced
onions (caramelized and diced)
tomatoes (chopped)
American cheese
ketchup and mustard (mixed and spread on top)

The veggie calzone: -- dipped in tomato sauce
a ton of broccoli, chopped
tomatoes, chopped
alfredo sauce

She cooked them on a pizza stone at 400ish degrees until the dough browned. And they were UNBELIEVABLE. IG and I ate the leftovers today and thought they were maybe even better after a night in the fridge. I wish I took a picture of these bad boys, but we were all too hungry and dove in to eat before I thought of it.

After Aunt E put them in the oven, we noticed that we had a LOT of pizza dough left and she had the best idea in the world. Let's make cinnamon buns! Neither of us had ever done it before so we did some searching and used the following recipes below. I have to say, these were AMAZING. Cinnabun couldn't have done it better, for real. The best part was that while these were baking, we did yoga and my wonderful hubby made the icing for us.

Cinnamon bun recipe (modified from Better Homes and Gardens)
dough - pizza dough :)
filling:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
AND 1 cup chopped apples (this made it super yummy)
mix together and spread on dough.
Then roll the dough and slice into individual rolls. brush with half and half.
Bake for 20 minutes at 375, brush again with half and half.



Icing - from a recipe in "Brunch" by Jennifer Donovan
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 tbsp butter (softened)
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix and drizzle over the cinnamon buns! ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!! I think I will make some extra pizza dough this week and make the calzones and sticky buns.

    ReplyDelete