Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pie Party

Last night we went to a pie party hosted by two of our closest friends. Everyone brought a pie to share and it was a lot of fun. I decided to try EACH pie and deemed Jenny (the hostess/birthday girl) the winner with her amazing apple pie. There were all kinds of pie to try! Bean pie, butternut squash pie, key lime pie, pumpkin pie, peanut butter pie.

I know you're all wondering.... what kind of pie did Becky bring?! Well I brought my dad's famous ham pie, which was a huge hit. I didn't include it in the actual taste testing contest of my own, but I do have to say it was the pie with the least amount left at the end of the evening. Now, if you've never had ham pie, you have to try this really easy yet delicious recipe. People are always very impressed by this pie when they see it because of the lattice design on top, but let me tell you, it really is the easiest thing ever. Normally, we eat this pie as a breakfast dish, usually after the holidays when my mom has made a huge ham and has left overs. My dad's recipe (with my notes in italics) are below. Enjoy!!!



Ham n Crescent Pie

8 oz crescent rolls (if you can find the container that is "30% more" or whatever, the larger than 8oz roll, get that because just 8oz is really hard to stretch)
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp green pepper (I used 3 tbsp to add more color)
salt and pepper
2 cups montery jack cheese (I used 1 cup Colby Jack and 1 cup cheddar)
2 cups ham, cubed (Ideally, you'd be using leftover ham, but if you don't have it, you can buy one of those ham steaks they sell - its like one big huge thick slice of ham)

Separate crescent dough into 8 triangles. Place 5 triangles in pie plate, press to form crust (You really have to stretch them out to fit the pie plate, you want coverage across the whole plate without holes). Mix rest of ingredients, except remaining 3 triangles, and pour into crust. Cut remaining triangles in to 1/2" strips and lattice across the top of the pie. Seal with fork.

Bake 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees.

2 comments: